29th March, 2019
There were a few dishes my Dad perfected after Mum passed away back in 1994. One of them was Chilli Con Carne. Every time I make this – I think of him. He wouldn’t like it much though. No meat and “not enough spice” for his liking…ha!
YOU WILL NEED:
1 small brown onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground paprika
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
Salt and pepper
1 x 400gm can black beans, rinsed
1 x 400gm can red kidney beans, rinsed
1 x 400gm can crushed tomatoes
1 x 125gm can corn kernels, drained
– In a little olive oil, cook off onion and garlic
– Add all spices and cook for 1 minute
– Add both cans of rinsed beans and heat through, then add corn, tomatoes and half a can of water and bring to the boil
– Season with salt and pepper
– Drop heat and simmer for half an hour
You can eat the chilli just like this, but we like to have ours with a baked potato.
– Bake spuds in foil in 200ºC oven for an hour
– Cut open and sprinkle with a little cheese, then top with chilli, a dollop of sour cream and fresh herbs
Adjust the amount of chilli powder to your taste.