10th July, 2017
It’s Mexican Monday here. We’ve always loved cooking Mexican food. Super tasty and a great injection of fresh salad and veggies for us all.
Burrito Bowls are so trendy at the moment, and we’ve been making our own version at home.
500gm lean beef mince
Taco or Mexican seasoning mix (see my simple spice blend below)
1 brown onion – chopped
2 cloves of garlic – crushed
1 family size packet of microwave brown rice
400gm can of black beans – rinsed
Small can of juicy sweet corn – rinsed
Cos lettuce or baby spinach
Red capsicum – cut into strips
Tomatoes – diced
Fresh coriander – chopped
Avocado – either sliced or mashed
Lemon or Lime wedge
– Sauté onion and garlic together, add mince meat and combine well.
– Add half the can of black beans and half the corn and stir until meat is cooked through.
– Add spice mix (either a packet of taco seasoning – or I just make a simple combination of 1tbsp cumin, 1tbsp paprika, salt and pepper) – stir well.
– Add 1/3 cup water and simmer for 5 minutes.
I also like to add a few chopped jalapeño slices to this meat mix for extra spice!
Grab a bowl and start layering.
Load in some cooked brown rice, meat mix, veggies, beans and cheese.
Top with avocado, salsa and sour cream.
Finish it off with a wedge of lemon or lime.
* For a vegetarian version, cook the beans with corn, jalapeños, spices and some fresh coriander – YUM!
Our kids absolutely love these bowls.
Mix it all up and woof it down!