29th August 2016
There are a few things in this life I simply cannot say no to.
One of those is lemon slice.
So much sweet, lemony goodness in one little bite sized package!
I have never been much of a cake person.
Even for birthdays – I’ve been known to have ice-cream cake, lemon slice, or even coffee scrolls rather than a regular birthday cake.
I’ve tasted many a lemon slice in my time. Have tried quite a few different recipes – using different biscuits, trying different icings, but this one is my ultimate fave! I’ve tweaked a few different recipes and combined my favourite elements and this is the best of the best!
If there is one thing you need to do this week – it’s make this lemon slice.
So simple – even blind Freddy could whip it up.
1 Packet of Marie/Arrowroot Biscuits
1 cup desiccated coconut
Grated lemon rind of 2 small lemons
1/2 can condensed milk
2 cups icing sugar
20g softened butter
2tbsp lemon juice
– Grease and line slice tin.
– Crush biscuits and place into bowl. Mix in coconut and lemon rind.
– Melt butter and condensed milk on stove top, stirring for a few minutes until fully combined and smooth.
– Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix in well.
– Transfer mixture into prepared slice tin and press in well.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
– Sift icing sugar into a bowl, add butter and lemon juice and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
– Spread icing over slice. Sprinkle with a little extra lemon rind and coconut and pop in fridge for another 30 minutes.
Bob’s your uncle!!
And always remember, when life gives you lemons – make lemon slice whilst sipping on a gin and tonic! Happy days….