26th June, 2017
I made this a few weeks ago as a lunch box filler for the kids and it was a hit. Imagine Sticky Date Pudding – but a healthier (not so sticky) version.
1 ½ cups pitted dates, chopped
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons of margarine
1 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
– Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare your loaf tin.
– Place chopped dates, sugar, margarine and water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes until margarine has melted.
– Sift flour and baking powder in a medium sized bowl, and make a well in the centre.
– Remove date mixture from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
– Once slightly cooled, pour date mixture into flour mixture.
– Add the lightly beaten egg. Combine thoroughly (don’t worry about the froth, that’s just the baking powder at work!)
– Pour mix into tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes, depending on your oven.
(My oven is on steroids, so this is usually done within 30 minutes.)
** Sometimes I will add oats, and you can also add walnuts if you like **